Fees & Administration
The registered Owners Corporations are responsible for collecting fees and the overall administration of the Owners Corporations at Hero.
Currently, FawknerMay Pty Ltd, is the Owners Corporation Manager contracted to Hero Owners Corporations with services delivered by its Principal, Rick Deering.
Legislation Regulations and Hero Rules
All management takes place as required by the Owners Corporation Act Victoria 2006, Owners Corporations Regulations 2018 Model Rules, the Hero Rules, together with the policies and decisions of the Hero Owners Corporation Committee. You can view these rules here.
- Owners of Hero Apartments are automatically members of Owners Corporations 1 and 2.
- The boundaries of the Owners Corporations at the Hero are set out in the Hero Plan of Subdivision registered at Land Victoria.
- Owners Corporations have statutory duties and powers as set out in the Legislation Regulations, Model Rules and their own Rules.
Hero Owners Corporations
Hero has three Owners Corporations.
OC No.1 Plan No. 428294T covers the skin of the building, the front entrance from Russell Street and part of the Russell Street foyer as well as both the stairwells (Russell street end and Coromandel Place end). It also includes all the mechanical and fire services which apply to residential apartments, retail and hospitality businesses.
OC No. 2 Plan No. 428294T covers corridors to residential apartments, access to and parts of the carpark, residential amenities, residential lifts and most of the Russell Street and Little Collins Street foyers. Apartment owners pay for maintenance and cleaning of residential common property and amenities.
OC No. 3 covers the stairs to the retail and hospitality businesses in the basement.
Owners Corporation Manager’s Responsibilities
The high-quality application of these responsibilities is essential for the effective work of Hero’s Owners Corporation Committee and include the following:
- Overall administration of the Owners Corporations requirements in line with Owners Corporation Committee decisions
- Referring appropriate matters to the Owners Corporation Committee
- Providing general advice in respect to relevant legislation, regulations for Model Rules and Hero Rules
- Advising on issues around details and borders between common property and private property
- Overseeing tenders, specifications and contracts in line with decisions of the Owners Corporations Committee in consultation with the Building Manager
- Receiving applications for security fobs, security keys and carpark remotes in consultation with the Building Manager
- Acting as a Public Officer of the Owners Corporations
- Providing input to the Maintenance Plan and Maintenance Fund in consultation with the Building Manager for Owners Corporation Committee approval
- Issuing fee notices in line with budget decisions of the Owners Corporation Committee
- Collecting regular and overdue payments of fees and other accounts
- Processing and paying approved invoices for suppliers and services and all Owners Corporations accounts in accordance with Owners Corporations Committee decisions
- Preparing financial reports, budgets and updates in consultation with the Owners Corporation Chair for approval by the Owners Corporation Committee
- Operating the Owners Corporations bank accounts including investments
- Organizing and operating Owners Corporation insurances and processing claims as required
- Arranging and preparing BAS returns, income tax returns, annual audits
- Facilitating, organizing, attending and taking minutes at Owners Corporation Committee Meetings, Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings on instructions from the Chair and in line with the decisions of the Owners Corporation Committee
- Acting as Returning Officer at AGMs for Owners Corporation Committee elections
- Dealing with correspondence in line with Owners Corporations Committee decisions
- Providing Owners Corporation Certificates in accordance with the legislation
- Oversight of reports, plans, audits and certifications related to the Maintenance Plan, risk, safety, insurance, emergency evacuations, rooftop anchor points and cooling tower
Keeping and Maintaining:
- All the Owners Corporations records
- Owners Corporations roll and register
- Contracts and Agreements Register
- Keeping a security register of all security keys, security fobs and carpark remotes with input from the Building Manager
- Owners Corporation Committee Minutes, ballots, use of the Common Seal
- All financial statements, income, expenditure, assets and liabilities
- Providing notices, emails, and other postings to owners in line with Owners Corporations Committee decisions
- Responding to enquiries from owners as appropriate
- Providing an Owners Only to Minutes of the Owners Corporations Committee meetings and other relevant documents
- Receiving complaints in writing for reference to the Owners Corporations Committee
- Providing information to new owners
Common Property and Assets
Hero Common Property & Assets
Responsibilities of the Hero Owners Corporations focus on common property and all that goes with it.
The Owners Corporation Manager receives input from the Building Manager in regards to assessing and improving the common property and assets, keeping records, advising the committee as required, so contributing to a host of services.
Owners and residents should be aware how many, how varied and how valuable these services are. They add to the amenity and value of the building, apartments and community.
At Hero Common Property and Assets include: Physical areas, infrastructure, facilities, and systems, fixtures, fittings, chattels, equipment and services.
- Areas; Russell Street and Little Collins Street foyers, corridors, stairwells, the skin of the building, roof, loading bay, basements and passages, the entrance outside the Russell Street foyer, front steps and ramp, carpark entrance, ramp and areas not included in carpark lot titles or storage cages of owners
- Infrastructure, Facilities and Systems: Plant and equipment, fire systems and equipment, water and air flows, the cooling tower, LED and other lighting, lifts, lift wells, solar panels and inverters, electricity, gas, metres, collective hot water, security systems, air space, pipes and structural walls. All shared wiring and cabling for utilities, telephone, television, internet and electricity are also common assets on common property.
- Fixtures, Fittings, Chattels and Equipment: Artworks, sculptures, plaques. mailboxes, bicycle racks, bins, worm farm, carpets/flooring, pillars and walls on Russell Street, signage, office furniture, computers, equipment, roof anchor points and various doors
- Services: Overall maintenance, waste and recycling collections, worm farm services, internal cleaning, external window cleaning, the website, painting, repairs, replacements/upgrades and capital works
The Owners Corporation Committee, the Owners Corporation Manager and the Building Manager share these ongoing responsibilities.
- Monitoring and reporting on the state of common property and assets
- Ensuring all areas and systems are functional, compliant and of a high standard
- Ensuring the architectural integrity and appearance of the Building is maintained in line with Hero Rules
- Ensuring all common areas and assets are accessible as required
- Investigating options for improvements, innovations, upgrades, replacements and capital works
- Maintenance, cleaning, repairs, painting
- Metering and apportioning costs of maintenance, replacements, capital works and services
- Dealing with liabilities and costs for damage to common property and services
- Seeking advice from the Owners Corporation Manager about what is common property and what is private property as required